Monday, June 6, 2011

Mangifera!!!!

The lights turned Red. Though we don't always respect the traffic signals stringently in our Country, we do respect them during the daytime in order to keep ourselves from paying up a fine. So I had to stop and I did.

Next to me stopped a car and a I could see a small boy seated inside. The boy was pointing to a Mango which was right above our head. Yeah, it's mango season now in India, so it's raining mangoes everywhere. He was trying to call the mango as though the mango would drop down to his hand at any moment looking at his tenderness.

I had just purchased some mangoes after visiting my friend and I was headed home on my two wheeler. As I saw the boy calling out at the mango from his window, it suddenly struck to me that I had mangoes with me and that I could give one to the boy as he was yearning for one. The lights turned green. I didn't hesitate. I called out to the boy, and the car was stopped just after crossing the signal. I took out a mango, and gave it to him. He was overjoyed, so inexpressibly happy that only he could feel and I could see. He reached out his hand trying to hug me, though I was just able to shake his hands, he had just made my day! His parents looked on, smiling :) Small things bring so much happiness. Children are the best. They can lighten up your day like a spark!

This is non-fictional story as narrated by my Uncle (Happened to him 2 days back). I was moved. I've done my part by adding some (not too much!) masala to it to make it sound more appealing! And the best part is he doesn't remember which car the boy was in :)

3 comments:

  1. aawww, that was cute! Our dairy-woman has a grand-daughter. Sometimes she would get up on the lap of the lady and come to our house for the daily delivery. She is nearly 2 yrs old. My mom goes out to fetch the milk and she says didi koi didi? Where is didi? didi is elder sister. Koi is short for kothay or where. She will mouth these words in a sweet voice and i have to go out then, even if i'm sleeping. She wont leave without seeing me. And she sees me, she will just stare with shy eyes and say nothing. Sometimes she would say Lojjence and I hand her a toffee or a lozence. She will give a quick smile then. She wont speak much but will keep watching me. When they would leave she would turn on the shoulders of her grandma and say Bye-bye till we disappear from eachother's sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute. Joying spreads easier than butter on bread on a hot day. :)

    ReplyDelete